Friday, May 06, 2005

Side Trip

Pluffmudder here...

Yesterday I mentioned that everyone in the neighborhood where I spent the first few year of life believed that it was their responsibility to watch out for and care for all the children living there. Today, most people don't want anyone to touch their child whether he or she needs tending to or "redirected". By the same token, most people don't want to get involved with other people's children.

There was a time (oh God!!! The old guy is going to tell how great it was in the old days) when most neighborhoods whether in a small town or a large city were like villages. The 3 or 4 blocks around your house was your stomping grounds. People wanted their territory to be safe and secure. They wanted the children to be free from harm and to behave.

3 comments:

Dennis said...

I just wanted to let you know I was out "blogging" around this morning, came across your blog and found it very enjoyable. I hope you don't mind... I provided a link to your blog in mine. If you prefer not to have me link yours let me know and I'll remove it.

D.H.

Lara said...

What a great blog!! Very interesting to see a perspective on life from another generation.

Thanks!

Harleydreamer said...

WOW, what insight. I followed D.H.'s link and couldn't agree more. It's sad to think that people will look the other way when say, a child is being abducted. It used to be that neighbors stuck together and looked out for one another. If a strange car drove into your neighborhood, everyone knew about it. I guess that's what we get from "progress".

I would also like to link your site to my blog. Please let me know if there would be ANY problem with that.

Dave.